Preparing for market
The final touches cannot be underestimated. Make sure that you properly prepare the house right before a showing. A small detail overlooked may turn off a potential buyer.
- Air out the house, weather permitting.
- Open all doors to rooms.
- Close, but don’t lock, closet doors (unless this is where you are storing your
- Turn off computers, radios, stereos, tvs.
- Leave a note about pets (“Cat is indoor/outdoor”).
- Leave a key to the garage, shed, backdoor, etc. on kitchen counter or somewhere
- convenient and obvious with a note about what it is.
- Don’t cook particularly fragrant meals the day of showings, although baking cookies or breads generally makes the home smell inviting.
- Clear mail, keys, pens, paper, etc. off all surfaces.
- Take out the garbage and recycling.
- Put away all dishes in kitchen.
- Make sure countertops are as free of clutter and appliances as possible.
- Put away pet dishes.
- Clean litter boxes.
- Vacuum and sweep.
- Make beds.
- Neatly hang towels in bathroom.
- Bring house to a comfortable temperature (heat or A/C) - at least 68°F in the winter,
- and nice and cool in the summer (if you’re lucky enough to have A/C).
- Leave all lights on.
- Open all curtains.
- Dogs : Even though your dog maybe the friendliest dog in town there are people who are just plain scared of dogs and will not enter the house if there’s a dog there. It’s best to remove Fido before any showing.
The need to protect your valuables is a sad but true reality when selling a house. It is crucial that you make sure that your home is secure before allowing strangers to walk through. Here are some tips on keeping your home and possessions secure.
WHAT TO PROTECT : The highest targets will be things that someone could easily slip into a purse or a pocket. Your big screen TVs, artwork, and desktop computers should be pretty safe. Your jewelry, keys, cash, cards, important papers, wallets, purses, passports, IDs, make-up, trinkets, and prescriptions will usually be the easiest item to steal. The easiest method is to put all your small and valuable belongings into a safe. If you do not have a safe, here are a few other ways to protect your valuables.